Thursday, May 3, 2007

Light Bulb Moment

I was reading a very interesting article on last night about the challenges of small business owners. It also had an assessment for small business owners that I decided to take because I knew my score would be extremely high (after all, I am a Business Coach). I did not get past the first question: Do you treat your business as a hobby or a business? The answer was obvious - A business! RIGHT

Well, it then preceeded to ask had you honestly committed 30 hrs. weekly to your business? Although I have committed time, it has not totaled 30 hrs. weekly. Lately I have been guilty of letting almost everything take priority over my business. As small business owners we have to remember that having a home office is great, been self-employed is great, but we must treat our businesses as a business just like the CEO of IBM. Do you have an Advisory Board? When was the last meeting? Is your profit & lost statement up to date? Do you self educate with the lastest trends in your business? How many books have you read this month regarding your industry?
Did you attend your industry conference? Do you market your business daily? (Just something to think about!)

I am now evaluating my week and making sure that I am back on track and following my schedule. My schedule will never be a normal 9 to 5 routine (that's why I left corporate)but I will increase my committment to 30 hrs. a week. That is why been an entrepreneur is so wonderful, I can schedule my day around my activites but I must remember to schedule my activites around my business hours.

Just as relationships need renewals, you need to renew your relationship with your business. Honor your work time and be present with it and do not allow other activities to interfere with your work time. What you put into it, is what will be returned!

Always Soaring,
Bridgette

No comments: